The 24th Connecticut Regiment of Militia was originally established in the Wyoming Valley by the Connecticut Legislature in Hartford in May, 1775. The Line Officers of the Regiment were commissioned on October 17, 1775 by Governor Jonathan Trumbull and the Regiment was established with 9 companies. Two Independent Companies from the Regiment were established by the Continental Congress in August, 1776. The companies left Wyoming Valley on January 1, 1777, to join General Washington at Morristown on January 9, 1777. After going to Morristown they were sent to the Millstone, NJ area were they fought in battles at Millstone on January 20th and Bound Brook, NJ. on April 11th. These companies took part in the battles of Germantown, Brandywine, Fort Mifflin, and White Marsh. They suffered through winter at Valley Forge and fought at the Battle of Monmouth in 1778. They were released after the Battle of Monmouth to come back to the Valley for the Battle of Wyoming, for which they arrived too late to be of any help. The unit was then sent on the Hartley Expedition out the West Branch of the Susquehanna to punish the Indians. The unit was with General John Sullivan’s march during the summer of 1779. This march to the Finger Lakes region of New York was to punish the Iroquois for the Wyoming Massacre and other Indian attacks.
With the settlement of the dispute between Pennsylvania and Connecticut over Wyoming Valley, the regiment was designated as a Pennsylvania State Regiment and its history continues unbroken through the years to the present day as Headquarters Company, the 109th Field Artillery, 28th Division, Pennsylvania National Guard